Monday, August 27, 2012

24 Good Deeds, Days 8 and 9

14. Buy dog food for Pit Bull Rescue Oklahoma. This is the rescue I adopted Kimmy from, and the group we're fostering Katie for. They do amazing work saving dogs and educating the public. They are always full and have a high food bill, so I try to help out with food occasionally. Next time I see the director I'll be delivering 70 pounds of food for the pitties.

15. Make a meal for the Carolyn Williams Center. The Carolyn Williams Center is a group home for young men who have aged out of the foster care system. I used to volunteer there weekly teaching a cooking class. Yesterday I made a big pot of pasta with veggie sauce, garlic knots, and peanut butter brownies and delivered it to the guys for Sunday night dinner.

16. Send books to my cousins. We recently had a book sale at work. All the the adult books skewed towards daily inspiration and the best way to cook beef in your slow cooker, but they had some great kids' books. I bought some for my cousins, Riley (age 12) and Kendall (age 6) and mailed them to Pittsburgh. I think it's fun to get an unexpected gift in the mail, especially for a kid who isn't used to getting mail of their own.

17. Give blood. I've been giving blood since I became eligible at 17. I'm not afraid of needles, I don't have any adverse reactions, and since my skin is practically see-through, I'm an easy target for phlebotomists. It's such an easy thing for me to do that can make a big difference to someone else. The last two times I've donated my pulse has been so slow that I have to get a supervisor to override the system to let me donate. I texted my mom while I waited today.
"I'm just waiting on supervisor approval to donate."
"Is your heart still beating?"
"43 times a minute."
"Well, that's enough to keep you alive, it seems." 
Yes. Yes, it is.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment